Cities, Parks & Campgrounds FAQs
Why build a mini golf course?
- Mini golf helps differentiate any park, campground or venue from your competition
- Mini golf can offer a high throughput of guests: 90 – 100 people per hour
- Mini golf is a great attraction for all ages from approximately 6 years of age and up.
- Mini golf has low operating costs and low maintenance costs
- Mini golf will hold guests at your venue for longer periods of time, boosting other revenue centers such as food and beverage sales, arcade games, retail shops, museums and more
- Mini golf is a “passive” activity where guests can take a break and relax from other more thrilling, high-energy attractions. It also provides a meeting place for families and groups to reconvene
- Mini golf can offer an attractive ROI (return on investment)
- Mini golf is easily played while “social distancing,” especially when outdoors
What type of miniature golf products does AGS offer?
Everything from custom-designed permanent concrete courses to our Modular Advantage Mini Golf System, custom modular mini golf, Bunkers & Bumps™, high-tech 360GOLF, SplashGolf® (water mini golf played on splash pad) and pre-designed portable / modular mini golf. AGS offers the largest assortment of mini golf products in the world
What is the typical ROI (Return On Investment) on a miniature golf course?
As a revenue center: most owners seek to pay off the original investment in 2.5 to 3.5 years, which assumes the market will support the size of the investment, the course is designed for repeat play and it has a good maintenance program to maintain a clean, attractive experience for your guests.
As an amenity, the family fun appeal of mini golf is an attraction that fosters goodwill and can keeps guests on a property for longer periods of time – contributing to incremental increases in revenues for concession stands, nearby restaurants, shopping, etc.
Why should we invest in a design contract and what do we get with the design contract?
The design is generally used for the following purposes:
- Provide owner with a visual design on their site
- Provide owner a routing plan for golf hole positioning and layout
- Provide owner with specific playability of each golf hole and location of any theme and water elements
- Provide owner estimated budget to build
- Presentation to bank or financing sources to help secure funding
- Presentation to a government zoning or permit office for approval to proceed
- Use with marketing materials for press releases and opening the miniature golf course
- Define other construction documents needed to proceed
Why should we add game courts to our operation?
- Game courts, like mini golf, are fun attractions that attract and keep people at venues
- Guests can regroup and relax while playing classic lawn games
- Game courts can function as an easy, economical amenity or as a revenue generator.
- Game courts can be installed indoors, outdoors or even on rooftops
What kind of game courts does AGS offer?
AGS offers a variety of game courts, including:
- Bocce ball
- Bean bag toss
- Bimini ring toss
- Giant Chess / Checkers
- Paddle tennis
What choices of permanent mini golf courses are there?
Other than our high-tech 360GOLF that can be operated arcade-style or as mini golf at a variety of venues, the classic permanent miniature golf course is a concrete mini golf course. Such a course requires excavation and pouring concrete. However, our Modular Advantage® Mini Golf system, which looks and feels like concrete but isn’t, is an eco-friendly, less-expensive alternative to concrete. The Modular Advantage Mini Golf system features:
- A patented, flexible interlocking panel system that is adaptable to virtually any topography.
- A 100% permeable surface area for water drainage, thus eco-friendly.
- Reduced materials and labor costs compared to concrete, as well as reduced installation and maintenance time.
These courses can be landscaped as natural putting courses or developed around any theme imaginable.
In addition, our custom modular system enables installation of mini golf courses on rooftops and other places where heavy, concrete construction is not practical.
What are startup costs to design and build a concrete miniature golf course?
When all of the factors listed below are addressed, designing and building a typical 18-hole concrete mini golf course can range from $150,000 to $500,000+. We can help an owner discover probable costs as we evaluate your specific needs.
The cost of a course is generally governed by the following factors:
- Size of golf course
- Number of water features
- Themed scenes or elements and obstacles
- Type of putting turf
- Type of golf hole edging
- Unusual soil conditions
- Prevailing wage or union wage requirements
- Distance traveled for mobilization
- Related expenses such as housing, and other crew expenses
- The amount of work, if any, to be done by the owner, such as grading, landscape, and lighting
How much space do I need for a concrete miniature golf course?
AGS has designed and built concrete miniature golf courses from 6,000 square feet (9-holes) to 30,000 square feet (18-holes)
- The course with the smallest footprint is the AGS U-Build-It Series at 3,600 square feet which includes 1,143 square feet of playing surface
- A typical course with up to 5,400 square feet of playing surface and 2,200 square feet of walkways will average 26,000 square feet.
- AGS can custom design to any space and any budget
How much time is needed to custom design a concrete miniature golf course?
- Design conference call with owner defining what AGS will need in order to proceed with the design and to obtain the owner’s vision and probable budget.
- We explore what tasks or scope of work the owner will do, if any. This may include site prep work, dirt fill, electrical and lighting done by local contractors, landscaping, irrigation and point-of-sale (POS) kiosk.
- A conference call can be done in less than one day, however the owner will have to produce more site information, such as a site survey CAD plan with topography, city / county setbacks, environmental issues (if any), etc. all of which can take additional time.
- AGS Concept and Positioning Plan – This is the first design to allow for space allocation of all elements in the plan including golf holes, walkways, water features, theming and anything else. This process can take 7 to 14 business days after it is scheduled.
- Design Conference with owner to discuss and make changes to the Concept and Positioning plan and discuss probable budget range. 1 – 3 business days
- Final design of miniature golf course and final budget. 7 – 14 business days
How long does it take to build a concrete miniature golf course?
Are there alternatives to concrete built mini golf that can still be permanent installations?
Yes. Our Modular Advantage® Mini Golf system and Customer Modular System are the perfect alternatives to a concrete constructed miniature golf course. These products look and feel like concrete, but are constructed using a flexible, but durable, patented interlocking panel system.
Other products you might consider include:
What is the Modular Advantage® Mini Golf system?
The Modular Advantage® Mini Golf system is so durable, it looks and feels like concrete, but it is not made of concrete. It is custom designed for your site and features our patented, flexible interlocking panel system that conforms to nearly any terrain. Compared to a concrete build, it:
- Generally is not subject to cold and wet weather conditions like concrete for pouring and curing as well as laying the putting turf
- Offers a 100% permeable surface as compared to water runoff with concrete
- Saves you money in terms of materials and labor costs, as well as reducing installation time.
What are start-up costs to build a Modular Advantage® Mini Golf course?
Generally, prices range from $150,000 – $200,000 for an 18-hole Modular Advantage mini golf course, but it can be more if there are water elements and / or theme elements. Concrete courses cost considerably more and take more time to build due to excavation, potential unforeseen ground remediation requirements and pouring concrete.
How much space do I need for a modular miniature golf course?
A typical range would be
- Pre-designed modular / portable courses of 9 holes to 18 holes may range from 1,200 square feet to 7,000 square feet
- Custom modular – almost any space but usually 2,000 square feet to 4,500 square feet typically for 9-holes
- Modular Advantage Mini Golf may range from 14,000 square feet to 22,000 square feet
How long does it take to design a modular miniature golf course?
It depends on whether you are interested in a pre-designed course or a custom course.
- For a Pre-designed modular course, we can provide a free basic layout positioning plan in 2 – 7 working days.
- For Custom Modular and Modular Advantage Mini Golf, the design process is accomplished in several stages:
- Design Conference with owner defining what AGS will need in order to proceed with the design, and to obtain owner’s vision and probable budget. We also explore what tasks the owner will provide, if any, and this might include site work, fill, electrical and lighting, landscaping and irrigation. This conference can be done in one day, but the owner may have to produce more site information such as a site survey which will take longer
- AGS Concept and Positioning Plan. This is the first design to allow for space allocation of all elements in the plan, including golf holes, walkways, water features, theming and anything else. This process can take 5 to 7 working days after it is scheduled.
- Design Conference with owner to discuss and make changes to the Concept and Positioning Plan, and discuss probable budget range. 1 – 3 working days
- Final Design of miniature golf course and final budget. 7 – 14 working days. Water features and / or theme elements require additional time.
Can you build a modular miniature golf course on rooftops and pier / deck structures?
Yes. Our patented modular system is the perfect product for this application providing a long useful life. It is lightweight, extremely durable, offers excellent drainage features and will withstand heavy foot traffic in outdoor conditions.
Why should I buy a portable / modular mini golf course?
Portable / modular mini golf courses are smaller in size, and therefore consume less space and are more economical than permanent mini golf options. In addition, portable miniature golf courses:
- Can be easily assembled, moved, disassembled and stored.
- Can be used indoors and / or outdoors or even on rooftops, decks and piers.
- Provide an attractive amenity or allow owners to monetize idle or unused space at virtually any location or venue.
- Are perfect for special events
What type of portable / modular systems do you have?
Products range from our totally portable RailShot Mini Golf and RollOut™ Mini Golf systems, to other products utilizing our patented interlocking panel system such as LittleDuffer®, MiniLinks™ Jr., MiniLinks™ and more.
What is the lead time for receiving your pre-designed modular products?
We can typically ship within 1-3 weeks.
What are the types of themed scenes and obstacles for a miniature golf course?
There are several types of theme elements and obstacles used on a miniature golf course
- Themed Scenes are large scenes such as a lighthouse, wishing well, water tower, pirate ship, volcano, mining carts, tiki huts and much more
- Themed Obstacles are smaller on-course features that improve playability and embellish a theme, such as a beach water theme featuring a Whale’s tail, a jumping Porpoise or a seashell as examples
- Non-themed Obstacles include geometric shapes such as circles, triangles, curved radius, and corner sweeps for bank shots
In general, theme elements and obstacles can range in cost from basic economical / affordable to easily 1 – 3 times the cost of the base course itself depending upon the size, level of detail and how elaborate the themed scenes are desired